Thursday, January 04, 2007

Currency Changes

Question: I have done limited travel outside of the United States. Should I immediately change my money into whatever currency that country uses?

Answer: I'm approached with this question all the time. Should I wait to change my money or should I arrive with a little local currency? Well, that depends on who you ask. I know travelers who travel with local money to have just in case of emergency. For example, in London, I like to have a few pounds for the tube so I can bypass the long lines at the ATMs. Then again, there are others who don't mind either way. Whatever you choose depends on you.

Also, keep in mind the country where you are traveling to. Most airports have either ATMs (which will give you the exchange rate) or currency exchanges. But, if you're traveling to a remote location, neither may be available. When you're researching your destination, check to see money exchange opportunities at the airport. If not, your local bank should have whatever currency you need.

Hope this helps!

* Have a question? Please send an email to travelerspen@yahoo.com or leave a comment.

No comments: